Fresh spinach is in season right now, and I got a huge bag of it from my favorite grower, so I’ve been looking for great ways to use it. I naturally turned to Twitter and Facebook to hear about your favorite spinach dishes, and I thought I’d share the master list. Thank you all for your inspired suggestions!
- Spinach + garlic
- Spinach + cheese (especially fresh goat cheese, feta, ricotta)
- Spinach + sesame
- Spinach + eggs
- Spinach + cream
- Spinach + pasta
- Spinach + mushrooms
- Spinach + potatoes
- Spinach + nutmeg
- Spinach + lentils
- Spinach + raisins
- Spinach + bacon
- Spinach + fish
- Spinach + anchovies
- Spinach + rice
- Spinach + lemon
- Sautéed in butter
- Wilted in a pan with slivers of garlic (lots of it).
- Simply sauté with olive oil, sliced garlic and lemon juice.
- Spinaci alla romana, with pine nuts, garlic, and sultanas
- Toss in a hot skillet with garlic, olive oil, salt. Cover, remove from heat, wilt 5 min. Leftovers can be mixed into fromage blanc.
- Chop up spinach, sauté in sesame oil, and serve with quinoa or rice, and tofu baked with miso or soy sauce.
- Stir-fry quickly with garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, and a dash of soy sauce.
- Sautéed in a skillet with rice vinegar, a drizzle of sesame oil, toasted black sesame, and fresh ginger, Japanese-style.
- One-pot spinach and quinoa pilaf
Spinach in baked dishes
- Spinach quiche, with leeks and gruyère
- Spinach and potato quiche with feta cheese
- Spinach tart or pie, with fresh goat cheese or camembert
- In a phyllo pie with feta, à la spanakopita
- Torta pasqualina (Spinach and ricotta Easter pie)
- Spinach and ricotta lasagna
- Spinach pirojki
- Spinach börek
Spinach with eggs
Add puréed spinach to pancake dough: the combination of the two creates a whole new taste.
- Spinach and feta omelette
- Spinach and mushroom omelette
- Spinach frittata
- In eggs florentine.
- In an egg bouillabaisse
- Sautéed in a little bit of olive oil with a fried egg.
- Spinach and egg crêpes with cheese
- Put puréed spinach into pancake dough. When heated in oil, it will give the whole thing a wonderful caramelized touch. It’s not pancakes with spinach, the combination of the two creates a whole new taste.
Spinach in soups
- In a spicy Asian-style noodle soup.
- Spinach and lentil soup with fresh sheep’s milk cheese.
- A soup of fried leeks, frozen peas, spinach and vegetable stock. Boil for a few minutes, blitz, then eat.
- In a coconut curry or bean soup.
Spinach in pasta and noodles
- In pasta with ricotta or mascarpone cheese
- With ricotta, to stuff lumaconis (snail shell pasta)
- Sautéed with tomatoes, pine nuts, garlic, sliced black olives in olive oil, topped with feta in pasta.
- Spinach pesto with almonds, really good olive oil and lots of grated pecorino; best with homemade pasta.
- Turn it into a pesto with walnuts and pecorino; eat on fresh bread or pasta.
- Elbow macaroni with Comté cheese, spinach and nutmeg
- Fry with bacon and tomatoes to top pasta.
- As a vegetable for mie goreng (Indonesian fried noodles)
- If it is really fresh, in a salad with beets and hard-boiled egg: mix the yolk with oil, vinegar and mustard for a creamy dressing.
- In a salad with tuna and roasted pumpkin seeds
- Mix with mandarin oranges, feta cheese, sunflower seeds and a Champagne vinaigrette.
- Wilted spinach salad: fry some streaky bacon, pour off most of the grease and deglaze with a bit of red wine vinegar. Pour the hot dressing over your spinach along with tomatoes, a hard-boiled egg, minced shallot and the crumbled bacon.
- Spinach salad with warm bacon vinaigrette
- In a salad with fresh mint and a Thai vinaigrette (made with fresh ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, and oil).
- Spinach, kale (or arugula), almond and date salad with a lemon dressing.
- Spinach salad with pumpkin roasted in maple syrup, creamy feta, walnuts and a nice vinaigrette.
Spinach in sandwiches and pizza
On pizza, with an insane amount of garlic.
- In BLT’s
- In a sandwich with hummus
- Use on an egg breakfast sandwich.
- Spinach pizza with fresh garlic, bacon, and dollops of fresh sheep’s milk cheese
- In a Chicago-style stuffed pizza, with an insane amount of garlic
Spinach with meat or fish
- In a coulibiac.
- Grill salmon with olive oil; lay on top of spinach; eat it all up.
- Spinach with grilled sole, washed down with Belgian beer.
- Fish florentine
- In meatballs, with lemon zest
- With croûtons made from Poilâne bread, lardons from a farm-raised French pork, and a Roquefort cheese sauce.
Blanched or boiled spinach
- In green juices and green smoothies: spinach, almond milk, banana and frozen blueberries is a favorite combo.
- Purée and freeze in ice cube trays to use for smoothies.