Orangettes are short strips of candied orange peel dipped in dark chocolate, and they’re a classic of French chocolate confections.
For mine, I take a bit of a shortcut though: I make them with candied orange peel I buy ready-made at G. Detou, a professional baking supply store so venerable my grandmother actually used to shop there. You could also make your own of course, using this recipe for Candied Orange Slices.
Easy orangettes ? Instant chocolate citrus gratification !
My easy orangettes are therefore a breeze to make, not to mention a real pleasure: few things in life can beat standing above a bowl of melted couverture chocolate (I use Manjari 64% couverture chocolate), dropping in candied orange strips by the handful, watching them swim around lusciously in their chocolate spa, scooping them out with your handy-dandy chocolate dipping fork, and setting them out to cool, maybe with a little soft music in the background.
Chewy, smooth, and dark with subtle notes of citrusy bitterness, these have to be the easiest chocolate confections you can possibly make.
Tag your pics with #cnzrecipes
Want to try this? Please share your pics on Instagram and Twitter -- I can't wait to see them!
- 230 grams (8 ounces) candied orange peel, bought from a professional baking supplies store
- 200 grams (7 ounces) good-quality dark chocolate (I use Manjari 64% couverture chocolate)
- Have ready a baking sheet or tray lined with parchment paper, or a feuille guitare, a special sheet of food-safe plastic that chocolate makers use to ensure a shiny finish.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the candied orange peel into 5-cm (2-inch) strips.
- Melt the chocolate in a double-boiler or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
- Drop a handful of orange peel strips into the melted chocolate, and stir to coat.
- Using a chocolate dipping fork (or ordinary fork with thin tines), fish the orangettes out of the chocolate one by one. Wait for the excess chocolate to drip off, then arrange on the prepared sheet.
- Allow to rest in a cool place until completely set.